LA Residents Must Turn in or Destroy “High-Capacity” Magazines
As we reported in October, the Los Angeles City Council has moved ahead with a new requirement for guns to...
As we reported in October, the Los Angeles City Council has moved ahead with a new requirement for guns to be locked away in homes and a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds.
Well, the deadline is here. Next week, LA residents have to destroy or get rid of any magazines holding more than 10 rounds after a judge denied a request to suspend the ban, according to this story from patch.com.
The California Rifle and Pistol Association, an official NRA affiliate, along with 30 county sheriffs and other law enforcement agencies filed a lawsuit last month in a bid to block the law, the story says.
Superior Court Judge James Chalfant denied their request for a restraining order on Thursday, allowing the new law to move ahead.
Anyone with the newly banned magazines has 60 days from the effective date to destroy or otherwise dispose of them or face criminal charges. The law went into effect in September.
Chuck Michel, the president and attorney for the Pistol and Rifle Association, said despite the denial, their fight against the ban “is far from over” and that the city’s ban is superseded by state law. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for April, 2016, the story says.
City Councilman Paul Krekorian urged owners of the magazines “to dispose of them legally at an LAPD station before enforcement begins” next week.
The lawsuit contends that an existing state law banning the sale and manufacture of “high-capacity” magazines in California, but allows the possession of such magazines, supersedes any city law. It also contends that the city’s ban puts law enforcement officials who are passing through Los Angeles “at risk of prosecution” and that it “creates a patchwork quilt of laws that transient citizens, including inactive and off-duty enforcement officers, must attempt to navigate under threat of criminal penalties,” attorneys wrote.