Pipe made of PVC, otherwise known as polyvinyl chloride, is a relatively cheap, easy, and durable material to work with. Here’s an interesting gun project you can try out for the next hunting season: build a shooting saddle from PVC for some serious stability when shooting in the field. If that’s not enough to quench your DIY jones, the folks at Outdoor Life will teach you how to build a game cart out of PVC here, that will help you tote a whole deer out of the woods.
Here’s the step-by-step instructions for the PVC Shooting Saddle:
- Cut a piece of 3-inch ABS or PVC pipe to 6 inches.
- Cut the piece in half lengthwise to make two “half-pipes.”
- Take one of the half-pipe pieces and drill out a hole to countersink a ¼-by-20 nut. This will match the threads of your tripod adapter.
- Use epoxy to secure the nut into the pipe.
- Next, take some foam insulation or other padding, and line the inside of the pipe with it.
- Finally, attach your tripod adapter to the pipe and use it as a stable, comfortable rest.