A lot of shooters have asked me over the years what I carry to the range. For what it’s worth, here’s what I keep in my range bag.
• Three pairs of shooting muffs, one of which allows me to hear conversation. (Why three? For people I teach, and for the occasional pitiful bastard who shows up on the line with a pair of cotton balls.)
• Screwdrivers. Standard blade, Torx, Allen wrenches, and one great big screwdriver for the windage screws on Leupold scopes.
• Belding & Mull takedown steel cleaning rod for knocking out stuck shells.
• Two Fisher Space Pens. One small Sharpie. One great big Sharpie. One big fat Magic Marker. Writing is better than trying to remember.
• 100 rounds of.22 LR High Velocity for practicing with my .22 rifle, and 100 rounds of CCI .22 LR Pistol Match, for practicing with my S&W Model 41. Having the ammo on hand encourages me to practice. I need it.
The weight of all this would bring a mule to its knees, but what the hell, part of shooting is about having lots of stuff, so why not?