A petition to allow the open carrying of firearms at this year’s Republican National Convention has gathered tens of thousands of signatures, and a response from GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, according to this story from newsweek.com.
On ABC New’s This Week on Sunday, Trump said he wants to “study the fine print” of the petition and said he hasn’t yet read it. He also called himself “a very, very strong person for [the] Second Amendment.”
The petition has more than 41,000 signatures at this point from people who want the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio to allow firearms to be openly carried during the convention from July 18 to 21.
Laws in the state of Ohio do allow for open carry, but it’s prohibited in certain places, like the arena, which completely prohibits firearms on the premises, the story says.
The petition, launched last week, is addressed to all three Republican candidates including Trump, Texas Sen. Tex Cruz, and Ohio Gov. John Kasich and calls the arena’s stance on firearms “a direct affront to the Second Amendment and puts all attendees at risk.”
“While it remains unclear whether the petition is genuine or actually a satire, it is being taken seriously by many. A blog and Twitter user named Hyperationalist—whose biography states ‘speaking truth to stupid’—said on its WordPress page on Thursday that it launched the petition, acknowledging that it has ‘clearly struck a nerve.’”
“The Change.org petition says ‘Cleveland, Ohio is consistently ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities in America,’ and by prohibiting guns from the arena, ‘the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena are putting tens of thousands of people at risk both inside and outside the convention site.’ The petition also includes ‘the possibility of an ISIS terrorist attack on the arena during the convention.’”
Regardless of the petition’s motivations, plenty have taken it seriously. For the full story from Newsweek story, go here.