Will you shoot yourself in the (fill in the blank) if you carry in the appendix position?
Is concealment easier in the appendix carry position?
Can you draw faster from the appendix carry position?
Can a fat guy appendix carry?
- Since your handgun is in the front, you have little risk of brushing someone or something on the side. In crowded areas, this can be a real concern with traditional strong-side carry positions.
- Hugging is actually easier. With strong-side carry, you have to quickly present the "off" side if someone comes in for that hug. When carrying in the appendix area, you can simply lean forward at the waist. Few people want to make contact that low on the body, so the odds of keeping your secret are good.
- A cover garment bulge is more visible on the side than in front. Think about someone looking at you head on. On the side, there's nothing behind the strong-side carry area, so a protrusion shows. When the gun is positioned in the front, your body is behind any "bulge" so it's largely invisible.
- Unless you're challenged with some extra spare tire, your chest also aids in concealment. If your chest sticks out farther than your waist, that causes your cover garment to hang loosely in front of the gun rather than on top of it.
- While technically not "concealment" we should note that security is excellent in the appendix position. Your gun isn't exposed off to the side. The more "interior" positioning keeps it under your control.