Over the holiday weekend, Sturm, Ruger, & Co. released a brand new handgun designed for self defense.
The new Security-9 is described by the company as an “affordable, rugged, mid-sized centerfire pistol that provides everyday security in the perfect caliber, size, and price point.”
As the name indicates, the pistol is chambered in 9mm with a 15-round magazine and is sized somewhere between a full-sized and compact pistol with a 4-inch barrel and a weight of just 23.7 ounces unloaded.
The gun is constructed around a rigid, one-piece, precision-machined, aluminum chassis with full-length guide rails, a blued, through-hardened alloy steel slide an barrel, along with a high-performance, glass-filled nylon grip frame with an integrated accessory rail.
As for the action, it’s what Ruger calls the Secure Action, which is the same as the LCP II and is derived from the hammer-fired LCP fire control system that combines “the smooth trigger pull of the LCP with the short, crisp feel and positive reset of a single action.
The Security-9 also features a bladed trigger safety, external manual safety, neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension, and a hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin without the trigger being pulled.
Here are some more design highlights from a Ruger press release:
• Dovetailed, high-visibility sight system with drift adjustable rear sight and fixed front sight. Sights can be easily changed out for different color
options (available separately).
• Internal, Secure Action hammer provides strong ignition force yet allows for easier slide racking when compared with many striker-fired pistols.
• Front cocking serrations enable positive slide manipulation.
• Safety features include bladed trigger safety; manual safety; neutrally balanced sear with significant engagement and strong spring tension; and
hammer catch to help prevent the hammer from contacting the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled.
• Safe, easy takedown with no special tools or trigger pull.
• Also includes: two alloy steel magazines.
A model will also be sold with 10-round magazines for those in states with mag capacity restrictions.