The .224 Valkyrie is the latest cartridge from Federal Premium. Now that it’s been on the market for a few months, it’s attracting attention from everyone, from long-range shooters to hunters. I recently had the opportunity to run the Palmetto State Armory PSA-224 at the breathtakingly beautiful High Bar Homestead in Gillette, Wyoming. It was a good chance to find out just what the Valkyrie can do in shifting winds and on an uphill slant at long distances. End result? The PSA-224 was ringing steel at 1250 yards despite a major heat mirage and randomly shifting crosswinds at speeds ranging from 8 to 36 mph—the wind was whipping harder up the mountain where the target sat than it was at the trucks where I sat. The gun was loaded with Federal Premium Gold Medal .224 Valkyrie 90 grain Sierra MatchKing rounds and we were firing it from a bench using sandbags and a bipod for stability. A Vortex Viper HST 6-24×50 optic topped the rifle.
The way the gun was set up was not ideal for the stability needed for long-range shooting but it was possible to get it done with a little finesse; there wasn’t a spotting scope so fellow writer Ken Whitmore spotted me using the Vortex optic mounted to the PSA 6.5 Grendel he was running. With a different bipod and/or more sandbags for improved, consistent stability and a good spotting scope for increased visibility the PSA-224 could do even better.
The PSA-224 kept going even hot, dry, and dirty. I was impressed by its performance and by the range of the .224 Valkyrie. I’ve been running the PSA-224 complete rifle on the range at home as well. According to Palmetto State Armory the cartridge delivers as many as 127.88 inches less drop and 68.76 inches less drift at 1,000 yards. It’s certainly won me over. If you’re interested in the latest long-range options, check out this rifle-ammo combo and take a look at this video.
“The forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is machined to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.”
This PSA-224 upper functions with any mil-spec AR15 lower receiver with a standard 6.8 SPC magazine.
- Barrel Length: 20″
- Gas System: Rifle-length
- Barrel Profile: A2 Style
- Barrel Steel: 416R
- Barrel Finish: Stainless Steel
- Chrome Lining: None
- Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
- Chamber: 224 Valkyrie
- Twist Rate: 1:7
- Barrel Extension: M4
- Diameter at Gas Block: .750
- Gas Block Type: Low profile adjustable gas block
- Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
- Receiver Type: M4
- Handguard Type: PSA 15″ Lightweight M-Lok Free Float Rail
- Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes
- Bolt Steel: 9310, Nitride Coated
- Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-auto
- Charging Handle Included: Yes
- Overall Length: 26.5″
- Weight as Configured: 4.5lbs
- MSRP: $499.99
The PSA 224 Valkyrie upper receiver was created with a 416R Stainless Steel barrel with a 1:7 twist rate for optimal accuracy over long distances. Cycling reliability is achieved with a rifle length gas system, which is completed with a PSA Low-profile adjustable Gas Block. The barrel is finished off with an A2 flash hider and a PSA 15″ Lightweight M-Lok Rail.
- PSA 224 Valkyrie MOE STR Lower Receiver With Nickel Boron Two Stage Trigger, Black
- Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6 Aluminum
- Receiver Finish: Hardcoat Anodized Black
- Caliber: 224 Valkyrie
- Fire Control Group: PSA Two-Stage Nickel Boron Trigger (1.75lb/1.75lb)
- Pistol Grip: Magpul MOE AR-15 Pistol Grip, Black
- Stock: Magpul STR (Storage Type Restricted) Collapsible AR-15 Stock, Black
- Magazine: None
- MSRP: $199.99 (prices fluctuate)
The 224 Valkyrie Lower is a PA-15 lower with the model number changed to “PA-224” and the caliber specified as “224 Valkyrie” for customers who want a uniform, dedicated look for their PSA 224 Valkyrie AR Platform